A Summer of Colour
Embrace the colours and textures of Mexico in this summer school holiday programme inspired by our blockbuster exhibition Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera: Art and Life in Modern Mexico. Decorate ceramics and textiles and create portraits bursting with colour and fun in this series of workshops delivered by our in-house team of artists.
Self-portraits – Create a mixed-media self-portrait inspired by the artworks in Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera: Art and Life in Modern Mexico. Express yourself through colour, collage and photography.
Screen printing – Learn techniques such as image transfer and textile printing to create an embellished cushion cover inspired by the colours and textures of Mexico.
Ceramic painting – Decorate your own ceramic inspired by Mexican talavera designs. Use ceramic pens to create a colourful piece of usable art.
Shoe decoration – Be inspired by the colours and textures of Mexican Otomí textiles to create a pair of patterned sneakers that put a spring in your step.
Animals and vessels – Create fantastical and colourful 3D animals and vases inspired by Mexican alebrijes (sculptures of imaginary creatures).
WEEK 1 PROGAMME
Mon 9 January: Self-portraits
Tue 10 January: Screen printing
Wed 11 January: Ceramic painting
Thurs 12 January: Shoe decoration
Fri 13 January: Animals and vessels
WEEK 2 PROGRAMME
Mon 16 January – Animals and vessels
Tues 17 January – Self–portraits
Wed 18 January – Screen printing
Thurs 19 January – Ceramic painting
Fri 20 January – Shoe decoration
WEEK 3 PROGRAMME
Mon 23 January – Shoe decoration
Tues 24 January – Animals and vessels
Wed 25 January – Self-portraits
Thurs 26 January – Screen printing
Fri 27 January – Ceramic painting
• The full-day programme is from 9am–3pm.
• Restricted to 7–12-year-olds.
• Limited to 16 children per day.
• The cost is $80 (+booking fees) per child per day, or $350 (+booking fees) per child for five days (10% discount for Members).
• Emergency contact name and phone number for each child must be supplied.
• Name and contact number of the person picking up each child must be supplied.
• Any special requirements, including wheelchair access or allergies, must be supplied.
• BYO lunch and snacks.
• Please bring a sun hat and clothing that is appropriate for outdoor weather, as breaks may take place outside the Gallery.
Week 1 09/01 – 13/01 9am–3pm daily.
Week 2 16/01 – 20/01, 9am–3pm daily.
Week 3 23/01 – 27/01, 9am–3pm daily.
- $80 (+booking fees) per child, per day | $350 (+booking fees) per child, 5 days
Sat & Sun, 11am–3pm. Every day during school holidays.
10am – 5pm
Free | Exhibition admission additional
2 – 2.30pm
Free - bookings essential | Exhibition admission additional Book now