Our conservation area has a history of almost 60 years and is the oldest of its kind in the country.
As Auckland City Art Gallery (ACAG), as it was called then, we were the first art gallery or museum in New Zealand to employ a conservator. Lesley Lloyd was appointed as Restorer in 1956 by the then Director, Peter Tomory, and a Restoration Studio was set up the following year. In 1968, Lloyd secured a sizeable equipment grant from the Gulbenkian Foundation in order to establish a cooperative conservation service for museums and art galleries in New Zealand. As there was limited expertise in conservation in this country at the time, we took on an outreach role.