Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki is a cultural leader in Aotearoa New Zealand. Our purpose is to be a place for art and a catalyst for ideas. We offer experiences that strengthen and enrich our communities, and we value collaboration and dialogue.
Audiences are at the heart of all our activities, which extend out from the Gallery’s home in the arts and learning precinct of Auckland's central city. We provide visitors with fresh ways to think about art and participate in creativity. Expand your cultural horizons through our remarkable collection and by experiencing our temporary exhibitions. Join the conversations generated by our innovative visitor events, outreach activities and education programmes, and become part of our connected community.
With multiple exhibition spaces spreading across three levels of our award-winning building, we are the largest and most inspiring visual arts experience in Aotearoa New Zealand. Our collection and loan collections currently number over 16,000 artworks. Together, they include major holdings of New Zealand historic, modern and contemporary art. Alongside outstanding works by Māori and Pacific artists, they represent significant international painting, sculpture and print collections.
New thinking and research informs our programming, which is supported by the resources of the E H McCormick Research Library and the Conservation Research Centre. Our publishing programme turns exhibition ideas and other research into books and online publications that keep connecting people with ideas and with each other.
As the fastest growing city in Australasia, Auckland has strong Māori and Pacific populations, as well as an expanding Asian demographic. In this context, we play a vital role as an inclusive hub for creativity for the city’s diverse communities.
Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, is a catalyst for art and ideas that strengthen and enrich our communities
- We are Auckland’s wharenui (home) for authentic and meaningful engagement with art for all; we are the foremost platform for the art of Aotearoa New Zealand in the world; we respect our past to inform the present and contribute to the future; we are kaitiaki (custodians) of art; we care for and conserve our collections and create new avenues of access. (Art)
- We offer generative space for diverse communities and honour Te Tiriti o Waitangi (the Treaty of Waitangi); we actively contribute to making arts and culture integral to the lives of people living in our communities; we support innovation, experimentation, imagination and empathy through art; we promote research and understanding, stimulate dialogue and creativity, challenge ideas and expand
- We are a responsive learning and research environment and a place of wānanga/discussion; we are a shared space of integrity, professionalism, expertise and collaboration. (Organisation)
Making a powerful contribution to the cultural life of Auckland and New Zealand by collaborating with creative communities to offer extraordinary art experiences that engage, challenge and inspire diverse audiences.
Our ambition for the future embraces and integrates our Regional Facilities Auckland and Auckland Plan commitments:
- To provide irresistible, enriching and accessible experiences for the people of the region and to those who visit our city (RFA); and
- To value and foster Auckland’s cultural diversity; and to value our artists, our creative sector and our cultural institutions (Auckland Plan).
Mō tātou mātou
We are here for others
- We are united by a common passion to offer authentic and meaningful experiences for people through art; and a shared belief that through art we know ourselves, each other and the world, more deeply.
- We actively engage with Aotearoa New Zealand’s bi-culturalism and Auckland’s many diverse communities.
We are custodians
- We are honoured to be kaitiaki/custodians of art; we value and care for our collections, we activate them and create new paths of access for our audience.
- We value our wharenui/home as an open, inclusive and shared place of co-creation.
Me whakakotahi ka pupū
Together we create more
- We move forward together with united purpose; we respect each other’s skills, ambitions and perspectives; we support each other and create an environment of trust, integrity, confidence and care; we communicate openly and clearly; we plan and share feedback; and we work cross-functionally to achieve success.
- We appreciate the unique contribution that everyone makes to our shared success; we all contribute positively to changing how people see, feel and experience the world through art.
We are innovative and agile
- We innovate and experiment and are open to new and unexpected ideas; we are agile and adaptive to challenging and evolving conditions.
- We are responsive; we continuously learn and grow; we harness our passion and share our diverse knowledge, skills and ideas in an environment of continuous improvement.
We are excellent in all that we do
- Excellence is our benchmarking for all we do; we are respectful, attentive and courageous; we offer genuine and relevant encounters with art and ideas; we collaborate across disciplines; we expand thinking and encourage dialogue; we challenge assumptions through research, risk-taking, innovative collecting, exhibition making, public engagement and public programming.
Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, part of Regional Facilities Auckland Limited.