Harnessing the youthful spirit of the sixties and embracing new mass-production techniques, Mary Quant created a new look for modern women. Be inspired by Quants work and play around with different materials and styles to create your own mini fashion sketch portfolio.
Tutor Abbey Lyman will guide you through this one-day workshop where you’ll learn to draw figures, sketch from garments in the exhibition and experiment with augmenting your design through colour and form. All materials for the workshop are provided including papers, pencils, fine liners, charcoal, and a folder to take your portfolio home in. Whether you are an experienced figure drawer, or a fashionista looking to have some fun and be creative, this workshop is for you.
Abbey Lyman is an artist, observational drawing tutor and co-owner of independent art supplies store, Pigment. Abbey leads the much-loved Drop-in Drawing programme as part of Friday Lates.
About the exhibition
Featuring over 120 garments, as well as accessories, cosmetics, photographs and sketches, Mary Quant: Fashion Revolutionary provides unprecedented access to the archives of the woman who made fashion accessible and relevant to a new generation. Members have free entry to this exhibition, which is in Auckland from the V&A in London.
Need to know
- This workshop is suitable for all, whether you are experienced with drawing or not.
- Coffee, tea and refreshments provided. This workshop includes a meal break, so please bring your own lunch or pick something up from our Gallery café.
- The non-Members price includes a one-year Membership, which will be available to pick up on the day of the workshop.
- If you are a Gallery Member with a valid guest pass, you can bring a friend for the Members price.
- This workshop has a minimum attendance requirement which, if not met, may cause it to be cancelled. If this is the case, those registered will be fully reimbursed.
- This event might be postponed or cancelled due to a change in Covid-19 Alert Levels. Ticket holders will be contacted directly and are entitled to a full refund.
Image credit: Mary Quant, "Fireworks" Jersey dress design, 1967. Sketch © Victoria & Albert Museum, London
This event is part of our membership programme. Gallery Members enjoy exclusive benefits while supporting art and artists.
Not a Member yet? Sign up now, from $50 per year.
Earlybird tickets - book before Fri 19 Dec 2021, limited tickets.
Earlybird Members $150
Earlybird Members guests $150 (with valid guest pass)
Members guests $165 (with valid guest pass)
Non-Members $210 (incl. Membership)
- Auckland Art Gallery, Classroom
- From $150