Original article published by Tātaki Auckland Unlimited.
Friday 20 May
Rangimarie Hunia (Ngāti Whātua), Chief Executive of Ngāti Whātua Ōrakei Whai Māia, has been appointed to the Advisory Committee for Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki.
Established in 2020, Auckland Art Gallery’s Advisory Committee provides guidance and support in the areas of leadership, development and strategic direction. Committee members comprise leaders in arts, philanthropy, business, strategy, policy and governance. The Committee is chaired by Acting High Court Judge, the Honourable Kit Toogood QC.
As Chief Executive Officer of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Māia, Hunia is responsible for supporting its 6,000 tribal members through cultural, social and environmental kaupapa.
Hunia has held a range of Director-level positions, including as an alternate director of Te Ohu Kaimoana at the beginning of 2015 before being appointed as full director in November 2015. In July 2019, Hunia was appointed Chair – the first wahine to hold this position in Te Ohu Kaimoana’s history. In December 2021, she was appointed a Director of Moana New Zealand.
‘I am looking forward to supporting Toi o Tāmaki as it seeks to offer experiences that strengthen and enrich our communities. I also look forward to offering ways to think about the place of Māori art, and how we showcase our unique and indigenous creativity,’ says Hunia.
Hunia played an active role as a member of the Iwi Working Group that was established to facilitate understanding and iwi decision making in response to the 11-year Review of Māori Fisheries Settlement entities, is a member of Global Women and was a finalist in the Westpac Women of Influence Awards 2014.
Mark Franklin, Board Chair of Tātaki Auckland Unlimited and fellow member of the Gallery’s Advisory Committee, says the group is fortunate to have such an experienced strategist join their ranks.
'Rangimarie brings insights from a wide range of successful programmes and initiatives,” he says. 'Her expertise in Māori business and wellbeing will be invaluable as Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki continues its mahi to create rich, inclusive and accessible experiences for all people of Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland.'
Hunia’s appointment became effective March 2022.
Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki’s Advisory Committee members
- Chair: The Honourable Kit Toogood QC, Acting Judge of the High Court of New Zealand, reestablished as a mediator, arbitrator, investigator and advisor/consultant on legal and governance issues
- The Right Honourable Helen Clark ONZ, former Prime Minister of New Zealand and former United National Development Programme Administrator
- Dame Jenny Gibbs DNZM, arts philanthropist and Founder of the Auckland Contemporary Arts Trust
- Royal Reed, Partner, Meredith Connell, Founder of On Being Bold, and diversity and inclusion advocate
- Christopher Swasbrook, arts philanthropist and Founder and Managing Director, Elevation Capital
- Andrew Grant, Senior Partner at McKinsey & Company and prominent business consultant.
- Rangimarie Hunia, Chief Executive of Ngāti Whātua Ōrakei Whai Māia
- Mark Franklin, Board Chair, Tātaki Auckland Unlimited
- Nick Hill, Chief Executive, Tātaki Auckland Unlimited
- Kirsten Lacy, Director, Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki
For further information please contact
Communications Manager, Tātaki Auckland Unlimited
M +64 27 217 4916