Artwork Detail Request a print
After joining the retinue of the Earl of Arundel in 1636, Van der Borcht the Younger was sent to Italy to help acquire works of art for his new patron. In later life he became a print publisher and art dealer. In this portrait Van der Borcht holds a print after a design by Raphael – perhaps one that he had published himself. Van der Borcht and Hollar remained close and this portrait of him was included alongside Hollar’s own in Meyssens’ series of portrait prints.
- Hendrik van der Borcht the Younger
- Production date
- 165 x 116 mm
- Henry Van Der Borcht Peinctre/. Ne a Franckendael Au Palatinat ..... in est Seruiteur du Prince de Galles.. Johann Meyssens Pinxit et Excudit;. W Hollar fecit 1648 (lower margin l. to r.). Coat of arms with a circle, crowned with a coronet - difficult to discern..
- Credit line
- Mackelvie Trust Collection, Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, bequest of Dr Walter Auburn, 1982
- Accession no
- Other ID
- 1365 Pennington Catalogue Raisonné
- No known copyright restrictions
- International Art
- Display status
- Not on display
If you’re interested in reproducing this artwork, you can enquire here.Request a print