Billy Apple®

Study for a New Zealand Flag

Study for a New Zealand Flag by Billy Apple®

Artwork Detail Request a print

Billy Apple uses the Golden Ration of 1:1.618, the proportional mathematical system devised by the ancient Greeks, to develop the dimensions of his national flag. The internal pattern results from dividing the total area of the flag at 100% black into a 14% grey golden rectangle with the remaining area adding up to an 86% black tone. These figures are derived from the 2006 government census and represent the ration of Māori to Pākehā (other New Zealanders).

Title
Study for a New Zealand Flag
Artist/creator
Production date
2012
Medium
UV impregnated ink on primed canvas
Dimensions
382 x 618 mm
Credit line
Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, purchased 2012
Accession no
2012/17
Copyright
Copying restrictions apply
Department
New Zealand Art
Display status
Not on display

To find out which artworks are available for print requests and reproduction please enquire here. This service only applies to select artworks in the Gallery's collection.

Request a print