Artwork Detail Request a print
This is one of a group of views of the harbour at Plymouth in south-west England which show that Hollar’s appreciation of landscape had not diminished in his old age. Even in the year before his death he was capable of producing delicate and nuanced scenes of otherwise unremarkable subjects. Hollar had sailed from Plymouth for Tangier in July 1669. He often returned to his drawings after many years and the studies for these etchings may have been made at that time.
- Boats Sailing Into Plymouth Sound
- Production date
- 58 x 135 mm
- By Plymouth (upper c). Plimstoke/Cat Water (centre l). W Hollar Fecit 1676 (lower r). Verso; (pencil) 6. (u.l.) Six pounds sterling (c) P.934. 14 (l.r.). Inscribed verso bottom centre, pencil, 'P 934 / 14' [Parthey 934]..
- Credit line
- Mackelvie Trust Collection, Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki, bequest of Dr Walter Auburn, 1982
- Accession no
- Other ID
- 934 Pennington Catalogue Raisonné
- No known copyright restrictions
- International Art
- Display status
- Not on display
If you’re interested in reproducing this artwork, you can enquire here.Request a print