Stanley Andrew was a portrait photographer who trained in England and came to New Zealand in 1908. He worked in Auckland but ultimately settled in Wellington. Spencer Digby was hired as the Auckland manager. S P Andrew had a studio in Queen Street, Auckland, 1925-ca 1934; studio in Willis Street, Wellington, 1925-1952. [Source: Auckland City Libraries photographer's database, 2008].
Foundation member of Wellington Rotary Club, 1921. He married Catherine (Kitty) Earle. His home "The Cottage" (at 4 Jalna Avenue, Khandallah) was designed by Willliam Prouse in 1908. (See Onslow Historian, vol 7 (3 & 4), 1977, p 56-59).
Father of Earle Andrew. (Some further information in PA Biographical Files).’
The Alexander Turnbull Library records the following concerning S. P. Andrew Ltd: ‘The studio of S P Andrew Ltd was established at 10 Willis Street, Wellington, in 1923, by Stanley Polkinghorne Andrew (1879?-1964). The premises were originally occupied by William Henry Bartlett, and the studio previously operated as Bartlett & Andrew. His son, Earle Andrew, joined him in the business ca 1938, and they ran the studio together until ca 1958, when Earle Andrew became sole proprietor. Ian Hulse took over the business ca 1971 and continued to operate as S P Andrew Ltd until 1974. (Sources: NZ Post Office directories; Wellington telephone books).’
- Stanley Andrew
- Date of birth
- Date of death
- New Zealander