Albrecht Kauw was considered one of Bern’s leading still-life painters in the 17th century. According to a history of Bern, he was also a cartographer and a painter of vedute, and as such had a significant influence on the history of Swiss landscape painting.
According to Benizet, he worked mainly in Bern, where he had already settled by 1640. He carried out a large number of decorations for public buildings in this town and for various chateaux.
Works are held in the following galleries:
Bern: Cavalry Combat in the 17th Century; Shipwreck; Brigands Attacking; Path to Happiness.
His son, Albrecht Kauw the Younger apparently worked as a painter in Basel, but no works by him have been identified.