About primary education
Auckland Art Gallery is temporarily closed in light of COVID-19 and with the wellbeing of all in mind. Please visit our COVID-19 update page for the latest information.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Gallery when we reopen – in the meantime, explore our collection online and connect with us via social media where we remain a catalyst for art and ideas.
Our schools programmes and tours are closely aligned with the New Zealand curriculum and specifically designed with Years 1–8 students in mind. See your students build knowledge, skills and confidence through gallery and studio-based facilitated discussions, hands-on activities and art-making.
To arrange participation in any of our programmes, please email us here with details of your group, group size and preferred date(s) and time(s) of visit.
You can also sign up below to our Primary Schools newsletter to hear the latest news from the team.
Differentiated for Levels 1–4
- Develop skills in observing/describing, interpreting (Levels 1–2) and evaluating (Levels 3–4) artworks. (CI)
- Explore different ways artists communicate in artworks (Levels 1–2), and how they respond to different contexts (Levels 3–4). (UC)
- Explore and use art-making conventions and elements through the use of materials and processes (Levels 1–4). (PK)
- Develop visual ideas supported by analysis of their own and other artists' works (Levels 1–4). (DI)
- Share, discuss and debate ideas in response to artworks
- Make connections and inferences whilst exploring artworks
- Seek and provide visual evidence for some of the key ideas that the artwork expresses